Sunday, May 4, 2008

Player Turned Fan

My dad recently told me that my high school baseball career ended one year too short, meaning I was getting better during my senior year. I started working out that year. I was getting stronger and I started hitting the ball a lot better than I did in the past. I was playing my best baseball during the second half of my senior year, then it just ended.

I knew that this years team was going to be better, because our team was filled with younger players who were only going to get better. I also knew that I wanted to go and watch as many games as I could. I still have many friends on the team that I still hang out with and I wanted to watch them play and root for my old team.

The Wagner Falcons are now 10-2 (2nd place in Staten Island) and are fighting for positioning in the PSAL playoff brackett. I am not surprised that they are doing good, but I am surprised that they are doing this good. I have been to almost every game and I am excited for them. They have been carried by their clutch pitching and timely hitting. Their big wins this season have included a 3-1 victory over Curtis (last year's division winner), a 1-0 pitchers duel over Port Richmond, and a 4-2 victory over the reigning PSAL champion Tottenville Pirates. With only five more games before the playoffs they will continue to grow and prepare for a run at a championship and I will be watching from the other side of the fence with all the parents who used to watch me play.

No comments: