Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Giant Draft


I know the draft was last weekend and I may be a little late with this, but I wanted to take some time and discuss my Giants' draft picks.


After the draft is over everyone becomes a football analyst and thinks they know the winners and losers of the draft. I just like to watch who my team picks and take it from there. The Super Bowl champion (I just wanted to throw that in there) New York Giants had a nice draft in which they addressed their needs. In the first round they drafted Kenny Phillips, a safety out of Miami. After loosing Gibril Wilson in the offseason, a safety is what they needed. Phillips is being compared to two other outstanding safeties from Miami, Ed Reed and the late Sean Taylor. If he turns out to be even half of those guys, I will be happy. When their second round pick approached I was hoping to get Dan Conner, a linebacker out of Penn St. Instead the G-Men drafted Terrell Thomas from USC. Thomas is a cornerback who scouts say could move to safety at the professional level. A versatile secondary player sounds good to me.


The Giants got a steal in the thrid round with Michigan wideout Mario Manningham. He was a projected first rounder who dropped all the way to the 95th pick in the draft. Manningham will be groomed to follow fellow Wolverine Amani Toomer when he retires. I can see it already: Manning to Manningham for the touchdown!!


The rest of the Giant's draft picks included two athletic linebackers, Bryan Kehl and Jonathan Goff; quarterback Andre Woodson and defensive end Robert Henderson. All-in-all I like what GM Jerry Reese and the Giants did in the draft. They took care of their needs as best they could and that is all you can ask for. If this draft class turns out like last year's draft class, Jerry Reese deserves a huge raise.

No comments: