Sunday, May 4, 2008

Back on the Diamond


I haven't played an organized baseball game since the high school season ended last May. I was a little happy when it was over, because I was getting a little tired of it. Between the high school season, fall ball, and summer ball I was playing non-stop my whole life. I thought I needed the break, but i did not realize how much I was going to miss it.


I love playing sports, but I am a baseball player at heart and I could not stay away from the game for too long so my friends and I formed a team and entered a Sunday morning men's league. The league is not very competitive, but it should be fun and that is all I am looking for. Our first game was scheduled for this morning at 9 a.m., but it was cancelled due to the weather. I was dissappionted because our whole team was out there ready to play, the field was in good shape, and the rain held up. I don't know why we couldn't get the game in. We ended up having a practice and went out to breakfast so it was not a total loss.


My team's name is the Raiders and I am the starting catcher/shortstop/where ever else I am needed. For the past few weeks my friends and I have been anticipating the first game. It was hard to get the whole team out on the field to have full practices because everyone is busy with school and work and can't make anytime for baseball. I can always make time for baseball. I got out as much as I could with a few teammates to at least throw the ball around. We would sometimes try to grab a field at Willowbrook Park and hit some ground balls and fly balls to try to get ready for the season. It's hard to say if we will be any good. We don't have any superstars on the team, just a bunch of kids who want to play some ball and we will be playing against some older guys. We may just get blown out every game, but I hope we can squeeze out a couple of wins. The most important thing to me: I'm getting back on the diamond.
Stay tuned for more Raider updates!

No comments: