Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Literacy Autobiography

My four years of high school have helped me understand who I am as a writer and a reader and that is not a very patient one. I never had much patience for reading and writing that was forced upon me. If it was not a topic of interest to me, which it usually wasn’t, I just didn’t want to do it. I do, however, have a few memories when my teacher granted me the freedom to write about whatever it was I wished to write about. I always took those opportunities to write about my favorite topic and the one thing that could never lose my interest; sports. Whenever I got the chance I would spin the assignment while still following the guidelines so that I could make it about sports. I love to read sports books, magazines and newspaper articles. I have drawn an interest to sportswriters such as Rick Reilly, Mitch Albom, and Mike Lupica. Whether I agree or disagree with their sports opinions, I love their writing styles. I always thought that school made reading and writing more of a punishment than a privilege. Students should be encouraged more to read and write about what they are interested in.

Looking back on what I wrote in the beginning of the term I have realized that not much has changed. I believe that my writing has definitely improved, but my motives have stayed the same. As you can see, I wrote about how my love for sports has affected my writing. It has continued to affect my writing throughout the term in my blog, Overtime! I have used this blog as a stepping stone to follow my dreams of becoming a sports writer. If I continue to follow my dreams, sports will be affecting my writing throughout my entire life.

No comments: