Sunday, March 2, 2008

"Heart of the Falcon"


I wanted to take some time to look back on a personal sports experience. Baseball has always been my favorite sport and i have been playing my whole life, including four years for my high school team, the Wagner Falcons. I was never a great player, but i always worked hard. Freshmen year I was placed on the freshmen team and it was a fun experience playing with all my friends. At the end of the year, I walked away with the team M.V.P. award, the coaches award, and a preview of what high school baseball is like. The next year I played on the J.V. team. This was a also a fun experience. We made the playoffs, but lost in the first round. After this season the real challenge began. I had to work hard to make the varsity team that was full of seniors. I made the team, but was only able to crack the starting line up a few times. We had a very talented team and were able to put together a good season. We made the PSAL playoffs and lost a heartbreaker to Beacon in Central Park. I knew that next year i was going to get my chance. We had a very young team. I was one of only three seniors on the team so i was forced into a leadership role. I played five different positions throughout the year and didn't complain. Where ever I was asked to play I played to my full potential. As long as I was playing, I was happy. At the end of the season I was one of only three players to play every game. One day during the season I was hit with a dilemma. My father got his hands on two tickets to a Yankee game sitting right behind the dugout. The Yankee game was on the same day that we had a meaningless, non-league doubleheader. I approached my coach about this situation. I figured it woudn't be a big deal if I missed a doubleheader that didn't mean anything. Coach Nappo told me that he needed me to catch the second game in the doubleheader, because the back up catcher wasn't going to be there. "You can go see a Yankee game anytime. Where are the seats, right behind the dugout?," Coach Nappo said. "Yea, actually, they are," I replied. He reminded me that he was counting on me to be there, but he left the decision up to me. I called him a couple of hours later to tell him that I will be at the game. When I showed up at school for the game my teammates didn't understand why I was there and not in the Bronx. Coach understood and he thanked me for making the right decision because the team needed me. I played both games and played pretty good. When I came home I had to listen to my dad tell me how great the seats were, but I still believe I made the right choice. Coach Nappo honored my decision and all of my hard work at the awards ceremony at the end of the year by giving my the "Heart of the Falcon" award. The trophy reads: Presented to the player who displays character and dedication.

No comments: