Thursday, February 14, 2008

Legacy on the Line


With seven Cy Young awards under his belt, over 350 wins, and over 4,600 career strikeouts, Roger Clemens is without a doubt one of the best pitchers of all-time. Coming out of retirement more than once to pitch better than ever well into your 40's is unheard of. Many people think he is a freak of nature, some admire his insane workout routine, and now people are able to credit all of his accomplishments to the use of steroids and human growth hormones. It is sad how one's amazing accomplishments can be thrown out the window so fast.


“I took no shortcuts,” Clemens, 45, told the committee. “Somebody’s trying to break my spirit in this room. They’re not going to break my spirit. I did it the right way, and I worked my butt off to do it.”


“I have helped taint our national pastime,” McNamee said. “Make no mistake: When I told Senator Mitchell that I injected Roger Clemens with performance-enhancing drugs, I told the truth.”


While watching the congressional hearing the other day I was, like everyone else, trying to find out who was lying. “Someone is lying in spectacular fashion,” said Rep. Tom Davis of Virginia, the committee’s ranking Republican. Who ever is lying is going through great lengths to do so.

I have a few questions about this whole thing. What would be McNamee's motivation for lying about something like this, if him and Clemens were such good friends? If Clemens did cheat, why wouldn't he just come clean like his good friend Andy Pettitte? If both sides are so confident in their version of "the truth" why not go to the good ol' polygraph? And is it so hard for these congressmen and women to learn how to pronounce these names correctly?

No comments: